Meaningful Christmas Gift Guide

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Meaningful Christmas Gift Guide

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Today, the true meaning of Christmas has become so transient and allusive that it is often difficult to remember what this season truly embodies. Christmas is no longer a strictly religious feast, it has also become a global celebration of joy. For me, Christmas is a time to express my love and gratitude for all that I have in my life while enveloping myself with the peace, joy and magic that comes with enjoying the festive activities, surrounded by loved ones. What does Christmas mean for you?

While the core values of Christmas are forever meaningful, one can not deny that Christmas equals one very exciting thing...Santa Claus is coming to town heheh! Gift giving has become a prominent tradition of this season, which consequentially means that it is also perhaps the most stressful time of the year! What do you buy the loving friend who deserves the entire universe? How on earth do you exemplify your gratitude to the sibling who stuck with you through it all? Where do you find the perfect present for the person that brought you into this world? Most importantly...how do you do all of this when you are a frugal college student like me and trying not to break the bank lol! I read recently, that the greatest gift you can ever give is your love, time and kindness. It's nice to get spoiled with expensive diamonds but imagine if someone created something just for you, spent hours lovingly crafting, all to create an embodiment of their adoration and admiration for you..that would perhaps be more magical than any monetary gift. I am so lucky that I have so many beautiful souls in my life that I have the opportunity to give to this Christmas, and so, this year I have decided to take a different approach towards the gifts I give. I have decided to try to curate simple gifts designed to suit each specific soul; their personality, behaviours and preferences.

Would you like to join me? Not only will this approach create a more valuable sense of worth for your receiver, this way you will also reap the warm fuzzy harvest of the selflessness you sow, and, you may also save money...its a win-win for all! Perhaps you have decided to do a present prohibition this year and you're looking for another way to donate your time, love and passion. If you are, then please read my last year's 'The Gift of Giving' post in which I wrote about the various methods and benefits of alternative gateways to giving. Continue to read my gift guide below for help and inspiration this season as you tick off your naughty and nice list!


I went a little bit OTT this year with my wrapping..Santa can I be your head elf?

Affirmation Cards
'Thoughts become things, choose the good ones'. The words of which we speak to ourselves and the private thoughts our minds contain, are said to be the very factors which shape our lives and existence. Print off or design your own deck of affirmation cards. These are perfect for those people who may need that little extra boost in their daily lives. You can even tailor them to specifically suit your recipient! Why not construct a beautiful self-love affirmation deck for that special person who struggles a little with accepting the reflection in the mirror? These are the beautiful free printable ones I used or you could alternatively buy a deck like this or this if you have a larger budget and less time.

Memory Scrapbook
Perhaps the most poignant way of expressing your love for a person; a collection of your favourite memories, moments and experiences all compiled and compressed into one single piece. The hardest part is buying an inexpensive scrapbook and printing off photos from your phone! After that, you get to enjoy the fun in letting your artistic spirit free. Fill the pages with pictures, hand written entries of your private jokes and any memorabilia such as tickets from your first concert or the menu of where you had your first meal together! I promise this process will bring so much joy to both you and your recipient as you reflect upon your past adventures and await the future magic memories to come!

Self Care Kit
'An empty lantern provides no light. Self care is the fuel that enables your light to shine brightly'. You want your loved ones to sparkle don't you? All anyone wants for their loved ones is for them to feel content, capable and overflowing with cultivated self-love. I have written all about self care here as well as its importance and benefits. Why not create a simple self-care kit for a friend this year? You could fill a basket with a mini journal, candle, face-mask, chocolate, hand cream, relaxing tea, uplifting quotes and maybe a personal letter of love. Show them you care by helping them to care for themselves this year.


The most beautiful Christmas store which I visited in Berlin recently!

Snail Mail
Go old school this year with a simple Christmas card, especially for those who maybe you aren't that close to but still want to shower with love. Is there anything more exciting than waking up to an unexpected envelope through the postbox? How lovely to realise that someone actually took the time to pick out a season's greetings card, write it, stamp it and post it...all just for you! The thought of doing this may make your hand ache already, but I promise through lighting a few candles, playing soft music and cuddling up in front of the fire, this act may just become your favourite piece of the festive fun.

Powerful Pearls
Sick of frantically running around town on Christmas Eve, looking for a necklace that you haven't already given your love? This year, why not gift them diamonds with a twist! This summer, I stumbled across the most beautiful, local, inspiring (and inexpensive) jewellery. Suchness Jewellery creates and produces the most intricate, empowering, hand stamped pieces of art. Perhaps you could buy your book-loving brother a hand stamped bookmark with his favourite quote or maybe you could order your neighbour an uplifting necklace. I have two of Lieska's affirmation bracelets and not only are they lovely to look at, they, for me, also embody personal meaningful messages.

Experience Something New
'I realised if I wait until I'm not scared to try new things, then I'll never get to try them at all.' This Christmas, grant your love the opportunity to try something new. Enrol them in a flower arranging class, sign them up to their local musical society or maybe even book them into a yoga course! If you live near me, my favourite yogi and the most beautiful soul Maeve, from Ebb & Flow Yoga, is hosting an array of new yoga courses in the coming year ranging from aerial flows to vibrant vinyasas. I really can not overstate the power and magic of yoga, especially in a class setting and especially under the guidance of someone as caring as Maeve! I am sure that from whichever corner of the earth you are reading this, there is an experience just waiting for your recipient to fall in love with whether it's a painting practice or meditation module.

I hope you enjoyed this post, I'm sorry it's been a while since I have written but I found myself feeling burdened and overwhelmed at times by this rather than excited. Thank you to my sister for reminding me to put my health and wellbeing first, ily! <3

How will you express your love and exemplify your gratitude to those you care about this Christmas season? Equally as important, how do you plan on loving yourself and giving to the beautiful soul that lies within? Feel free to let me know in the comments below or message me directly through Instagram (it makes my day getting such kind lovely messages from you, it means the world that these posts are helping people). 
  

Lauren x

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments