Habits to Happiness

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Happiness

It sounds dreamy yet at times so unattainable, but what if there were basic little things we could do everyday to make us happier humans? Habits are inevitable but luckily we always have the choice to create positive ones and break negative ones. Here are some habits that I do to boost them lovely happy feels!



1. Smile
So simple but so effective! It's proven that by simply turning the corners of your mouth your brain releases endorphins which make you happy. Even if you feel the complete opposite, smiling can actually trick your brain into thinking you are in a good mood. I remember a lady told me to always use the 'Mona Lisa' smile (an unrecognisable upturned lip); when you talk, walk, breathe and even sleep (if you can hehe), by simply doing so your mind is in a constant state of underlying peace and happiness irrespective of your thoughts. So smile while you still have teeth!

2. Mindfulness
'Just be mindful!', perhaps one of the most popular yet aloof piece of advice I and many others have received and given...but what does it mean? For a long time I didn't really understand what it meant to be mindful, the word itself is contradictory but through reading different books and articles and trying it for myself, mindfulness really inhabits the act of being mind-less rather than mind-full. It involves living fully in the present moment and being completely in the 'now'. When you are first introduced to this you might think it is an airy concept. I remember being told to stare at a leaf for one minute and notice every little vein, spec of green and caterpillar hole, it immediately brought a halt to my whizzing thoughts but my friend thought it was absolutely rubbish and got into an argument with the poor lady! A simple way you can introduce mindfulness is through your breath. Try taking big deep slow breaths through your nose. Listen to the sound of the inhale and exhale. Focus completely on the feeling of the air passing through your nostrils, down your throat and into your lungs. Imagine a beautiful colour passing through your body spreading love, peace and happiness to each fingertip and toe, to every nook and cranny. Watch the way your belly rises and expands. If your thoughts begin to drift away, bring the awareness back to your breath. Breathe out every last drop of air until there is no more left inside you. Repeat this process for one minute and notice how you feel afterwards. Try not to punish yourself if your mind constantly drifts to its thinking state, it is completely natural at the beginning and how we as humans have been groomed. Hopefully you will feel a little more relaxed, at ease and clear headed. Now imagine being like that all of the time; that is mindfulness! I will be doing a post all about mindfulness soon.

3. Gratitude
'Remember the time you prayed for everything you have now.' Isn't that amazing to think about?! I know I am definitely guilty of not stopping to smell the roses and realise just how lucky I am. It's proven that people who express daily gratitude are happier and also live longer! You woke up this morning, you have eyes that can read these words, you have technology to communicate with others, you have clothes, food, water, shelter and many more; there is always always something to be grateful for even in the midst of scarcity and depletion. I definitely want to do a post about gratitude in the future but tonight before you go to sleep, why not try writing or recalling a list of ten things you are grateful for? It will fill you with so much love and gratefulness for simply being alive. 

4. Treat Yo' Self
Something that I definitely struggle a lot with is treating myself but I'm starting to realise that it's not a selfish act but actually a selfless one. I am beginning to understand that as humans we can't constantly push ourselves to be busy and working all the time and that we do deserve rest. If like me you struggle with immense guilt at the thought of being nice to yourself try and think about the fact that in the long term it will boost your mood and productivity levels, thus helping others. A little goes a long way and treating yourself everyday can do wonders for your happiness. It doesn't have to be extravagant or costly; paint your nails, listen to your favorite songs, have a bath or light a candle. Do something that you love and makes you feel good. For me it's sitting down with a cup of black coffee while playing sudoku on my phone or watching an episode of Fun For Louis in bed at night. How will you treat your self today?

5. Random Acts of Kindness
Random acts of kindness (RAK's) are a win win situation for everyone. It makes both the giver and receiver feel amazing! I try to do at least one RAK a day whether it is something as simple as texting my friend a positive quote or making my parents a cup of tea. There are hundreds of ways you can express kindness towards someone today, even just telling someone you love them is sure to make you and others happier.

I hope you find something here that can make you even a little bit happier and which you can incorporate into your daily life. Please comment if you tried any of these or some habits you do to make you a happy chappy! I hope you enjoyed my first post, please leave any suggestions or questions below or in the 'ASK' section of my blog. Click here to subscribe to my newsletter for updates on new blog posts. Thank you so much for reading!


 lots of love & peace & happiness
Lauren x


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. That is a beautiful and interesting piece, well written, looking forward the next installment. Francis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Francis it means a lot <3

      Delete
    2. URGENT AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER AND LOTTERY WINNING DR GBOJIE am from canada, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don’t know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i etried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn’t listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don’t know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn’t stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com was were i got the help to restore my marriage]website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me/

      Delete
  2. E86FDPeter2F7FD15 April 2024 at 12:15

    301AD
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    matadorbet
    ----
    ----
    ----

    ReplyDelete